On Saturday, Gordon and I departed on our big adventure.
12+ hours on a plane sounds miserable and I was dreading it. But Air New Zealand does it right and it turned out to be an enjoyable experience. Here are some top reasons:
- Safety first! – Their safety videos are creative and actually entertaining. Our safety lesson was brought to us by Betty White. If you get a chance, check out the others too.
- Comfort, even in coach – Even as a cheapskate, I still got my own touch screen video player and a seat with plenty of space.
- Entertainment options – They had tv shows, movies (old and new), games, an informational section to read about different places in NZ, and a screen to track your flight.
- Indulgence – On our flight, they served us dinner and lunch, and came around bringing water every so often. But we could also use our touch screens to order food and drinks – tea, coffee, soda, alcohol – at any point, free of charge. Or, we could just get up and wander to go get our own…
- “Get back in your seat!” On most of the flights I’ve been on, long or short, when people spend too much time up, a stewardess will lightly reprimand. On Air New Zealand, not only did they not send me back to my seat when I went searching for a cup of tea, but one of the stewardesses engaged me in conversation and chatted for a while.
- Potty Humor – In addition to the entertaining flight video, there were other little moments that made me chuckle to myself. The main one being when I made my way to the toilet in the middle of the night. Half asleep, with Justin Timberlake serenading me, I actually looked at the wall with the image of a bookshelf. The books had titles like “A Guide to Nude Skiing in New Zealand,” by Seymour Butts, and “Kiwis have long noses.”
- Engaged – As marketers, Gordon and I appreciate a company who is engaged on social media. So when Gordon tweeted them and they promptly tweeted him back, it pushed them even higher on the enjoyable experience scale.
Some of these might not be unique to Air New Zealand, but when put all together, I loved it.